RE: [oletrucks] Transmission cross member

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Transmission cross member
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:02:01 -0700
> My long winded question is: Are other people running open drive line
> transmissions that are not supported? I know a couple of you are. I remember
> reading post quite a while back about it.
>
> I figure the 235 bell housing mounts will give quite a bit of support. I
> just don't want to trade one problem for another.

The 55-59 trucks all use an open driveline, and no support under the
rear of the tranny (the tranny hangs from the bellhousing).  But the
bellhousing mounts are a different design, with a large rubber/steel
mount directly under each side of the bellhousing.  I don't know if
the bellhousing mounts from the earlier truck that you are using will
support the weight as well.  It might be worth modifying the rear
trans crossmember to accept the type of transmission mount that was on
the T5 originally.  It's more cutting and welding, but I think that
would be the best way to go.

Either that, or if you think the bellhousing mounts are up to the job,
just remove the rear trans crossmember if it's not needed for anything
else, and let the T5 hang from the bellhousing.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.selectric.org