[oletrucks] RE: 56 Chevy Pickup spring leaf removal

To: chris@chriscook.net
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: 56 Chevy Pickup spring leaf removal
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:16:54 -0600
Chris:
Per your message below, when I first started removing leafs from the front
springs, I removed the first and third leafs (the shortest being the first
and the third up from the bottom).  At first things looked O.K., but after
about a week of 'settling-in' the springs were touching the rubber bump stop
on the underside of the frame.

I disassembled and replaced the first and third, then removed the second and
fourth leafs.  The truck settled-in with about 3-4 inches of travel before
the bump stop contacted the leafs.

You're right, with two leafs removed, the springs are almost flat but
remember they work in both directions (flexing both above and below the
spring eye centerline).

Ride was a little more spongy and noticeable during hard cornering.  I'd
suggest you put a good set of shocks on the front if you do this, it will
help the cornering to a small extent.

I'll be honest with you, even after removing the two leafs and adding a new
set of shocks, the ride and handling wasn't what I wanted.  Last spring I
removed the whole front axle and replaced it with an IFS and rack and pinion
steering.  The difference was night-and-day compared to the original
suspension.  It was a lot of work, but well worth it as far as I'm
concerned.

Regarding the removal of rear leafs, I can't be much help as I never did
that.  I left my rear suspension intact (original) until I replaced it last
year with a F#$d 9-inch rear and four link suspension with coil-over shocks.
  I just yesterday saw some info on the oletrucks mailing list about this,
so post your question to the list and I think you'll find there are a great
group of truck folks who will be happy to help you out.

Good Luck with your truck!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL