Re: [oletrucks] Keys

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Keys
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:38:11 -0700
> Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:24:18 -0800 (PST)
> From: Will Nelle <wmnelle@sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Keys
>
> The PO of my truck cannot find the keys to the ignition, door or glove box.
>Any suggestions on a method to come up with a replacement key that will fit?
>Did Chevy offer any kind of coding which told of the key cuts back then?
>Surely this problem has been addressed in the past, although I find nothing in
>the archives.  Please help.

Take out a door handle with a keyhole in it, and pull the lock out
(there's a snap ring holding it in), then look for the 4 digit number.
  Call some local locksmiths and ask if they can "code cut" a key for
a 50 year old Chevy, if they say "yes" then take them the lock and
some $$$ and they'll make a key.

Hopefully the ignition is the same as the door...

but if the ignition lock has been changed in the past and they don't
match, then you'll have to get the ignition lock cylinder out and that
is a lot easier if you have the key for it!  but you should be able to
remove the switch assembly, and with some work you can get the lock
out and replace it with a new one.  Then if you want to spend even
more $$$ you can have the new ignition lock cylinder rekeyed to match
the door locks.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!