Re: [oletrucks] bushings

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] bushings
From: Ed Miller <enigmaT120@highstream.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:38:36 -0800
Hi Luke,

I have no idea how long they last.  I'm sure driving on rough roads all
the time like I do will accelerate wear!  So would not greasing them
every thousand miles like the book says.  Mine are visibly ovaled some.
The symptom of wear I get is hard pulling to one side or the other when
I hit the brakes hard.  Yeah, I know maladjusted brakes can do the same
thing, but in different directions?  Steering components are good.  I
think that the braking causes the front springs to go flatter, making
the bushing shift in place, which messes up the whole steering geometry
if you think about it.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm still going to replace
the bushings.

I think all the on line vendors sell the bushings and spindle kits, but
so does my local Napa so that's where I'll get mine.
Good luck,
Ed Miller
'58 Apache Short Fleetside