[oletrucks] RE: Leaf Spring Removal to lower front stance.

To: mhdh81@lynchburg.net
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: Leaf Spring Removal to lower front stance.
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 20:49:58 -0500
Mike:
To answer your message below, I intially removed the first and third leafs
(first being the closest to the axle and shortest, then skipped a leaf and
took the third out).  After about two days of sitting and driving, the axle
was almost hitting the axle bumper stop (attached to the frame, centered
over the axle).  While it may not look like much, that short spring (the
first leaf) carries a lot of weight when combined with the other leafs.

I replaced the first and third, then took out the second and fourth leafs.
Stance was lowered, but no longer was close to the bump stop.  I also
replaced the front shocks because I was fearful changing the spring rate of
the front springs might affect handling.

Just be aware that removing front spring leafs alters the dynamics of the
steering.  Suggest you do a before and after drive and pay attention to the
steering reaction and cornering ability.  I've heard that some that removed
front leafs to lower the stance added a sway bar to help the handling.  I
switched to an independant front suspension (IFS) the following year so I
can't comment about adding a sway bar.

Good Luck, be safe, and let me know if can be of any further help.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL