[oletrucks] Re: New Garage - Lighting

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: New Garage - Lighting
From: Leon Corley <lcorley@ticnet.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 08:28:02 -0500
In my shop I used commercial refrigeration fluorescent lights.
They are designed to start at cold temperatures.
Each fixture uses 2  8 ft. 110 watt tubes, about 9000 lumens per lamp
My shop is 30 x 45 - 1350 sq ft
I use 4 fixtures, that makes for 72,000 lumens total.
About  54 lumens / sqft..
I believe this is about the minimum OSHA requirement for a workspace
like a warehouse.
In retrospect I wish I had put in more light.
I'd recommend that you put in significantly more than you think you will
need.
You can always have multiple circuits.
That way, on the remote chance you think its too bright while you're
working on stuff, you can turns some of it off.
Remember, you're mounting the lights on the ceiling, but you're trying
to distinguish between two adjacent black objects under the car.

That's another thing to consider -- mounting the lights on the walls
will let them illuminate under the hood better.

regards,
Leon