[oletrucks] 58 Chevy Sub project

To: "Early Suburbans" <Old-Burb-club@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] 58 Chevy Sub project
From: "Mark Noakes" <mark@noakes.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 12:01:09 -0800
I spent 12/31 at my brother's mini-farm visiting with family and discussing
getting going on my 58 Sub project again...and to inspect the new shop...I have
a serious case of shop envy!  Roughly 3300 sq ft of covered space with
everything divided into sections by function.

Plans are to first get going on the floor, firewall, and structural panel
replacement and welding to deal with any of that rust...before the body gets
split from the frame to put the body on the rotisserie.  Otherwise things get
warped and later don't fit right.

I also decided to use the deluxe dash parts out of my 59 GMC parts Sub on the
58 GMC NAPCO pickup resto and will shortly pull that dash and get going on that
for future use...have to have a place to put my tach once it is restored...

Latest pictures of the various categories mentioned show up under:

http://blog.mark.noakes.com/blog/Vehicles/58Suburban/page=1
http://blog.mark.noakes.com/blog/FamilyPhotos/Mark
http://blog.mark.noakes.com/blog/Vehicles/58GMCNAPCO

We also restarted the discussion on new rear quarter panels for the TF
Suburbans...they are in rented storage right now and not at my brother's so I
didn't get to look at them...however, I have one of the few remaining sets of
3rd part NOS rear quarters for these Subs (as far as I know, GM didn't source
them)...and no, they are not for sale.  The Suburban list had talked at some
point about getting these reproduced and possibly using mine as patterns.  Is
there still any interest in doing this?  I notice that almost all of the pickup
parts are available in steel as reproductions now; however, none of this stuff
is cheap.

Also some new shots of the wild boys (though I know of only a few that are
interested) at:

http://blog.mark.noakes.com/blog/FamilyPhotos/Noakesboyz2005/page=0
http://blog.mark.noakes.com/blog/FamilyPhotos/Noakesboyz2005/page=1

Contact on any Suburban restoration or parts issues welcome!

Mark Noakes

Personal, hobby, enthusiast vehicles, work/school, nature/travel/art
photography located at:

http://blog.mark.noakes.com/

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice
there is usually a difference."--Anonymous