[oletrucks] Truck Stalls

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Truck Stalls
From: EEHodges@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 14:34:45 EST
Hi all - I haven't been very active on the list in several years though I
still follow the digest. I have a 48 3/4 ton w/original 216 engine. The engine
runs fairly well, but I've developed a recent problem. The truck will start
and  idle fine in the driveway or even after warmed up on the road. However,
immediately after coming to a stop (like at an intersection), it stalls.
Usually
 it will re-start without much problem and off we go again. I've tried
increasing  idle speed a bit (or a lot with the throttle) without improvement.

This happened a few years ago also after a period of low use (several  months
without being driven). I just did a "good tune up" then (points, plugs,
condenser, rotor, AND cleaned the carburetor including removing and rinsing out

the jets.) I'm again suspecting the carb has some crud flaking off inside (the
pump screen and filter look OK, but maybe crud inside the carb itself).

Two questions:
1) Am I going down the right path again with the carburetor or is there a
possible spark side issue?
2) Is there anything to coat the inside of the old cast carburetor bowl to
keep the crud down?

Thanks for the advice,
Emory Hodges
48 Chevy 3/4 ton.