RE: [oletrucks] Steering Columns

To: g.perez@charter.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Steering Columns
From: "K Ohlgren" <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:03:37 +0000
i used one from an 86 Chevy Astro van (minivan), it fits well but does not
have a shift indicator on the column. those vans did not offer an OD trans
and only have the PRND12 indicators,  not the PRND123 needed. i figure I
would us an aftermarket shift indicator kit or cobble something together. I
like the idea of tilt, shift, blinkers, 4 ways, cruise, highbeams, neutral
safety and the ignition on the column.
the 86 column installed with 2 universals and had no problem clearing
headers with a MUSTII rack. the bottom of the shat sticks thru the firewall
about 6 inches as does the shift lever.
that year column will not have the proper shift pattern (where you pull it
into D and it stops or a click for every position) as it will not have the
stop for 2, but i belive it does have enough throw to get it into low (3)
when pulled all the way down. as my truck is still a project... i have not
tested any of this.
none of these will work with the stock steering box (without a lot of work),
I assume you have a MUSTII or clip on front.

Kurt
58 3100 Apache project
the "Duracell Project" it keeps going... and going...

>From: "George Perez" <g.perez@charter.net>
>To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
>Subject: [oletrucks] Steering Columns
>Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 06:23:51 -0500
>
>Hi All,
>

>I have a question for you all. I have heard that some of the older Chevy
>Van Steering columns are a good fit for 55-57 trucks. My 55 TF will have a
>700r trans and I would like to pick up a Tilt column with a Shifter.  Can
>any one tell me what year vans work well?
>
>  I have my eye on one I think it is a 1985 Chevy van. I could not find the
>vin data plate.
>

>Thanks
>
>George

Microsoft Office Live