[oletrucks] 3/4 ton Third Member Swaps

To: OleTrucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 3/4 ton Third Member Swaps
From: Heather & Joe Way <joe@brakecylinder.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:20:12 -0700
I've been all over Stovebolt.com, and over to chevytrucks.org, and
elsewhere, trying to verify information about swapping 1967-1972 3/4
ton third members into earlier 3/4 ton rear ends.

My understanding is that the '67-'72 pumpkin can be swapped into 3/4
ton rears from the late '30s up through Task Force trucks. I can find
a number of posts that seem to confirm this for AD trucks, but none
for TF. I have access to a '52 3/4 ton rear for inspection purposes,
and the pumpkin appears identical in every respect I can see to the
1959 rear my friend wants to change.

I found one post that seems to say the AD and earlier axles are 17
spline while the TF and '67-'72 axles are 30 spline, so if you're
swapping into an AD or earlier rear you need to get the later axles
and shorten them about 1/2".

But I can't find any posts where the poster flat out states that he
did this swap into a TF 3/4 ton rear end, with a '67-'72 pumpkin, and
it worked.

My friend has talked to a couple of differential "experts" and a
couple of truck wrecking yards, and they all say they've never heard
of this swap for any of the older trucks. I know I've read about this
many times here and on the Stovebolt site, so I think these "experts"
are wrong, but I would like to get some confirmation before I advise
my friend to spend $400-$500 for a later third member.

Who's been there and done that?

Thanks.

Joe
--