Re: [Oletrucks] Tailgate

To: Rob Butler The ToonMan <squatch56@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Tailgate
From: Gale Gorman <gale_gorman@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 19:16:15 -0500
>>On Jun 20, 2011, at 6:15 PM, Rob Butler The ToonMan wrote:

I know this is a dumb question but Has anyone ever modified a 55 and newer
tailgate to fit a 47-53 Box??
I have a 59 stepside Tailgate and a 48 Box!!!

Rob...The ToonMan
Sasquatch Artworks

-----------snip----------
I have several tailgates like that. Nothing rare about them since they fit '54
- '87.

You're right, it does seem like a dumb question since the beds are so
different. The tailgate you need should be available. Beware the cheapos ($200)
are made of much thinner steel and without the lettering stamped in the insert.
I have two re-pop tailgates that look really good but they are about 6 or 7
lbs. lighter than an original. Seems like I paid $275 for those.

I remember buying tailgates new from Chevrolet in the '60s for $35. They really
got their money's worth out of that die.

Gale Gorman
Houston

Oletrucks@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html