Re: Anti-Sieze

To: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Subject: Re: Anti-Sieze
From: Heather & Joe Way <sierrasa@psln.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 09:16:05 -0700
Nils--sorry for the delay in answering this. I've been looking for my
old container of anti-seize, but can't find it--I must have lent it out.
One nice thing about the wait--this also addresses your most recent post
on the subject.

You are correct about lubrication and torque. Torque instructions
usually have a phrase like "the values given are for clean, lightly
oiled threads" or some such. Friction from dry threads can result in
insufficient stretching of the fastener when the wrench reads the target
measurement, and elongation is the actual goal of the torquing process.

In the past mechanics were warned, and the label on my old can of A-S
stated, that A-S was more slippery than light oil, and torque should be
reduced. ISTR that my old can called for a 20 percent reduction in the
torque reading for the same elongation, but it's been a long time. The
A-S I'm using now is Permatex #133K. Its instructions are to clean
threads, apply light coat and torque to manufacturer's specs. So
apparently it lubes about the same as "lightly oiled."

Bottom line--some anti-seize products will require a reduction in
torque, some won't. Read your label. See no failure to comply.

Joe

PS- I do know the difference between my fingers and my tongue-but I am
so confused I don't know whether I'm talking or typing.  :-)

PPS- Loctite is great in situations where vibration, poor fit or other
factors cause otherwise properly installed fasteners to loosen. I
reserve its use, generally, to such situations. The manufacturer's
engineers usually have a good handle on what's required to keep
assemblies intact, and I try to put things together the way they did. If
they put on a lockwasher, I put on a lockwasher. (Hardware store
customer to young clerk-"Do you have lockwashers?" Young clerk-"I don't
think so--can't you just use soap and water?") Loctite *is* sometimes
specified in the manufacturer's repair instructions, or the parts
supplier's instructions--if it is, I use it. Again, the bottom line is
"read the directions."

====

--
Heather & Joe Way