new subject - old spa

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: new subject - old spa
From: "Rex Burkheimer - WM" <rex@txol.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:12:28 -0500
I may wear you guys out with all the projects this new (to me) house will
require, but I'm laying awake at night considering the possibilities.  2
weeks before  we close .

This place has a nice deck in the back/side yard, 80% shaded, probably
600-sf.  Inset into it is a spa, non-functional, brackish water and a couple
of frogs living there. All the equipment is there and accessible from the
underside of the deck. Fiberglass looks OK, it has been under a cover (which
is a writeoff). I found nothing like a brand name except on a couple of the
electrical items, and they looked like they were not necessarily part of the
base spa package.
     Due to the condition and the fact that it is electrically-heated, I
planned on removing it and decking over the hole. Now I'm thinking about
getting it working.  Except I don't know anything about spas.  Had a pool a
couple houses back, but no spa.

So, can anyone recommend a course of action on deciding if it is worth
doing?

How about a basic walk-through of the plumbing and electrical components I
am likely to see?  Some of this stuff looks pretty foreign. For example,
there is an electrical box coming up from the ground next to the deck, a bit
away from the spa itself. Seems like it has a knob like a timer on it. Also,
there is a stalk going up from the ground to a point above the deck rail,
which has a toggle switch and a bell-type cover over it.

Electrical usage - I figure an all-electric spa has gotta be an energy-hog.
How do I figure out what an evening of basking will cost?   No gas on this
property, but solar supplement may be a possibility.

Point me to a useful URL if you know of one.

Thank you again, in advance

Rex Burkheimer
Parts Plus Marketing Director  WM Automotive Whse., Fort Worth TX
It's not about who controls the money, it's about who controls the
information" Ben Kingsley, "Sneakers"

///