RE: Under the hood temperature

To: "Douglas Shook" <shook@usc.edu>, "Shop Talk"
Subject: RE: Under the hood temperature
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 20:45:58 -0700
yd3@nvc.net wrote :

> <<<snip>>>
> so the corn growers can get rich
> <<<snip>>>
> I take offence at that.

Great !  Get them all to call up their lobbyists in Washington and tell them
it was all a mistake, they aren't in favor of forcing us to burn their corn.

> The small, less than 1000 acre, farmers aren't.  Just ask 95% of them
> where I live.  Perhaps the ten thousand acre corporate farms are.

I should probably take offence at that.  Several members of my family have
farms larger than 10,000 acres, they're by no means corporate.  And while
they're not exactly rich, they are doing quite well overall.

My uncle told me a few years back that he wanted to take a vacation, so he
put essentially the entire farm in the land bank program.  He 'made' more
money (paid for by your and my tax dollars) that year than he ever did
actually farming the land.

What's wrong with this picture ?

BTW, I crunched a few numbers just now.  If Californians were forced to burn
gasoline containing 10% ethanol, it would consume roughly 8% of the US corn
crop.  Aren't those kids still starving in India ?

Randall