RE: tractors

To: FZampa@mail.maconstate.edu, Shop-Talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: tractors
From: jmark.vanscoter@amd.com
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:01:14 -0500
Some background. . .

The 9N is named that because it came out in 1939. The 2N was released in 1942
and was the same as the 9N except it came from the factory with steel wheels
(save rubber!). The 8N is the newest, it arrived in 1948. The first "modern"
Ford was the

Harry Fergusen (later of Fergusen 4WD fame) was the actual designer of the Ford
tractor. Originally, they were often called "Ford-Fergusens". Fergusen owned
all the patents on the hitch and related parts of the tractor.

The reason I mention this is to offer another option to you. After the Ford -
Fergusen split up (Harry sued Ford Motor Company over it, settled for $millions
in the early 50's), he went on the design and build his own tractor. In a
sense, they were enhanced versions of his old tractor, the Ford 9N and 2N.
However, the Fergusens have 4-spd trans (not 3-spd), live PTO (not "dead"), OHV
engines (not flatheads), etc. Of course, they still had the same Fergusen
3-point hitch like the Fords used.

The Fergusen TO-20, TO-30, TO-35 TE-series, TEA-series will all feel very
comfortable to you. Few parts are interchangeable between the Ford and
Fergusen, but the parts availability for the Fergusen is excellent, since the
Massey-Fergusen 35 and 40 are developments of the same tractor. In fact, look
at the TAFE models of today, they licensed the design and still build them.

I was looking at Fergusen extensively, bought a restore project of an early
TE-20. (TE-20 was made in Europe, TO-20 were made overseas.) It is a long term
project though.

I think the Oliver Super-55 and Oliver 550 are even better developments of the
same idea.

Mark V.S. in Austin, TX

Too many old tractors already!