Re: Manual tire machines

To: Wayne <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Manual tire machines
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:42:40 -0400
Wayne wrote:
> So, I was wondering if any of you had experience with manual tire bead
> busters?

   I have a basic cheapy tire changer, and have used the bead buster
with success on the usual MG/Triumph sized road tires.

   On mine, the tire just sits on the ground, and the bead buster
presses on the bead in a short area (4 inches or so). Then the tire iron
goes in for leverage, and you put your weight on the bar, and it opens
the bead without too much trouble. Flip and repeat for the other side.

 > I know enough about tire changing to know that I would not want to
> change a tire entirely manually.

   It is pretty laborious. I don't really use it for mounting tires. The
main reason I got it was that I had a huge stack of semi-useful old rims
with totally rotten tires on them.

   Rather than pay $8 each to have the tires pulled off, I spend about
$40cdn on the tire changer and just spent a long sweaty day tearing them
all off.

   The only downside is that the unit has to be VERY solidly mounted to
remove a tire. I originally bolted it to a 2x10 sheet of spare plywood
which I would them jam between solid objects and whale away on. But it
really should be mounted solidly to the floor.

   I don't have the facilities to balance though, so I usually don't
mount either since I would have to drag it to the shop and pay about the
same amount either mounted or unmounted.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca