RE: Manual tire machines

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, Wayne <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Subject: RE: Manual tire machines
From: "Madurski, Ronald M." <RONALD.M.MADURSKI@saic.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:30:04 -0400
: -----Original Message-----
: From: Trevor Boicey [mailto:tboicey@brit.ca]
: Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 5:43 PM
: To: Wayne
: Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
:
: Wayne wrote:
: > So, I was wondering if any of you had experience with
: manual tire bead
: > busters?
:
:    I have a basic cheapy tire changer, and have used the bead buster
: with success on the usual MG/Triumph sized road tires.
:

I use mine for changing 10" slicks for my Formula 440.

:    The only downside is that the unit has to be VERY solidly
: mounted to
: remove a tire. I originally bolted it to a 2x10 sheet of
: spare plywood
: which I would them jam between solid objects and whale away
: on. But it
: really should be mounted solidly to the floor.

I welded a plate to a 2x2" square steel tube.  I bolted the changer to it
and shove it up the reciever hitch on my truck.  Nice solid mount and at a
perfect height.

I can unmount pretty easily and remounting used tires is not really hard.
New tires (in my size) cannot be mounted this way without a lot of cussing
and groaning.  I get new slicks mounted at the local tire place, they do it
for free so I really only do it myself when I am in a time crunch.

Ron Madurski