Re: Setting up the Ideal Shop - What are the requirements?

To: "Gil Fuqua" <gil.fuqua@cci-ir.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Setting up the Ideal Shop - What are the requirements?
From: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:12:47 -0700
There are three regrets that come to mind as far as building my shop goes.
Number one, and by far my biggest irritant is the lack of foresight to use
electronic ballasts in my fluorescent lights. I have twenty, twin tube 8'
florescent light fixtures in my shop. I am extremely happy with the light
output and dispersion, but the noise of these cheap ballasts is real pia.
They are not just kind of loud, they are really loud. In addition the bulb
life is not where I think it should be.

Second would be lack of in-floor heating. I have not looked into it in
detail but the older and more spoiled I get the more I hate walking around
on a cold floor in the winter. Of course I may change my mind on this after
figuring out what the costs of such a system would be.

Third would be lack of a floor drain in the center of the shop. I do mostly
race car fabrication and maintenance in this shop. I would like the ability
to wash down the floor and make clean up easier.

As far as type of flooring goes I'm really on the fence on this issue. I was
a plant manger for a ~200K sq.ft. Manufacturing plant for a number of years
and we decided to put a grey epoxy down on the floor. It was hideously
expensive to the tune of about ~400K but man did it look
sharp.................. for about the first six months.......  The assembly
area stayed looking pretty good actually. But my fabrication area looked
like heck in fairly short order. Every piece of equipment we purchased had
to have non-marking wheels/casters etc. It was a giant pia and in retrospect
I would have only done the assembly area.

Based on that experience and the type of work done in my personal shop I
decided against any type of colored floor coating. I am constantly dragging
heavy items across the floor. In addion the driveway leading up to my shop
is crushed rock and the race tires constantly pick up the sharp gravel and
carry it into the shop. Where it gets ground into the floor by rolling
jacks, creepers etc.

There are a number of things that I really like about the shop as well.

1. Huge number of electrical outlets. I designed it such that there is twin
outlets every 3 feet around the perimeter of the shop and some across the
ceiling as well. All these outlets are gfci protected and spaced out across
7 different 20 amp circuits. In addition there are two or three 220 amp
circuits with 4 or 5 outlets spaced around the shop. I have a dedicated
welder circuit with four different outlets around the perimeter and one near
one of the rollup doors for welding outside. RV and cable outlets on the
outside of shop for when the wife kicks me out of the house. Don't scrimp on
the electrical if you can help it.

2. Compressed air with compressor outside in its own shed and copper pipe
plumbed throughout the shop. Drops every 6 feet with some across the ceiling
as well. Two hose reels that get mega amounts of use.

3. Water - Utility sink, I use this thing a lot. For everything from
cleaning parts, fish, hands etc. to filling 5 gallon buckets to wash the
cars. Very handy. Also have spigots on the outside front and back of
building for washing cars etc. Toilet... very beneficial for obvious
reasons.

4. Security system.

5. Phone, internet, computer, stereo, cable, tv, refrigerator, coffee maker
and microwave help make those hours in the shop more enjoyable. Phone,
internet, cable TV and stereo speakers have in-wall outlets spaced around
the perimeter of the shop two places on each wall... should I decide to
re-arrange things.

6. Ceiling fan - was doubtful on this one but it has turned out to be very
beneficial for circulating heated air in the winter and cooling the place
down in the summer.

The number one piece of advice I can offer is to keep the damn personal and
lawn and garden crap out of the shop. That kind of stuff is non-productive
and takes up huge amounts of space. Build yourself two or three 10x10 sheds
and keep all the bicycles, lawnmowers, basketballs etc in there. Keep it out
of the shop....

Wayne