Re: Setting up the Ideal Shop - What are the requirements?

To: "Madurski, Ronald M" <ronald.m.madurski@lmco.com>,
Subject: Re: Setting up the Ideal Shop - What are the requirements?
From: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:28:19 -0700
> [>]  What kind of heating do you have?  I am going to go with overhead
radiant since I can't see going to the expense of putting it into the floor
only to have it crushed by dropping something huge and sharp in the wrong
place :-)

Ronald,
I have electric heat in the shop (small industrial heater mounted in rafters
blowing down) and electric baseboard heat in the house. Both house and shop
are on the same meter. Electric bill is $200 per month. Living in the
Pacific Northwest we don't get really big temp swings like some of you do.
Winters are relatively mild and I only keep the shop just above freezing in
the winter unless I'm working out there. My hope with an in-floor system
would be to keep the floor a little more heat friendly in the winter months,
such that it would not take as long to heat up the shop to a working temp.
It's a mute point now anyway as I'm not tearing the floor out to install a
system.

While I would obviously like to have a lower electric bill I'm not convinced
the shop is really contributing that much to the bill..... that's my story
anyway......  Our electric bill was high before the shop was built, probably
due to the baseboard heat, and all electric appliances. Thought about
installing a separate meter for the shop but that would be counter
productive as then the wife would know how much the shop was costing
us........   Unfortunately gas is not available out where I'm at.

Wayne