Re: battery drain?

To: ejrussell@mebtel.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: battery drain?
From: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:37:17 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
> I am wondering what the expected electrical load might be on a vehicle
with the
> key off?
> After re-charging, I connected an amp meter between the neg terminal & the
> ground cable (disconnected from the battery). With the everything 'off',
the
> meter is reading 0.45 - 0.48 amps on the 0-10 scale. Open the trunk, it
reads
> ~1.5 amps, close the trunk, back to <0.5  Open the door it reads about 3
amps,

That sounds way high.  A 'normal' size car battery is on the order of 100
amp hours, so that load would drain it within a week or two.  Question: is
there an under the hood light that was on while you did the test?

To find out where the drain is start pulling fuses and see which one makes
the drain go down.  Shouldn't take too long, except for resetting the clock
afterwards!

Happy hunting,
Mark Miller