Re: Oxy Acetylene Torches

To: "Matt Wehland" <mattw@webtripper.com>
Subject: Re: Oxy Acetylene Torches
From: "Steve Dillen" <SDILLEN@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:30:47 -0700
To echo a number of points that David made. . .

A year ago I bought a cheap offshore welding outfit (IO-Oxygen brand).  The
package came with 3 tips, a cutting attachment and a rosebud as well as a B
tank and a 50 cu ft oxygen tank for about $500cdn.  I use it for very light
duty welding/brazing of sheet metal. . .and of course the standard
blue-wrench stuff.

I found that the small oxygen tank was empty in no time, so I upgraded to an
80 ft tank the first time I went back to refill.

The acetylene lasted quite a while, but I was concerned about overdrawing
the tank with any larger tips so I upgraded to a 75 cu ft tank when I needed
a refill.

The original outfit did not come with check valves or flashback supressors,
so I also bought those. . .which is probably the case with any outfit.
These added another $100 or so. . .  I also added a 50' hose as the 10' hose
that came with the set just wasn't long enough for me.

After a year, I had a problem with the acetylene regulator surging.  I
bought a new (Uniweld) regulator and was AMAZED at the difference.  I
wouldn't have believed someone telling me that there'd be any difference in
accuracy (or what I'll call resolution) in the adjustment of regulators.  I
am now planning on replacing the torch as I expect gas adjustment of a US
made handle will be as much of an improvement as the regulator was.  My
original oxygen regulator is still in service and holds constant pressure so
I'll stick with it until it fails.

Overall, I found that I'd have been better off to buy a known brand outfit
to start with. . . or even to buy the components that I needed as I needed
them.  The dealer has given me full credit for bottle upgrades, and was fair
in pricing the replacement regulator -- but as in everything, you get what
you pay for.

Steve Dillen