Re: Oxy Acetylene Torches

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oxy Acetylene Torches
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:42:11 -0500
Renting bottles is an option, as is buying your own new bottle and having it
refilled every time, but the simplest is to go to a welding gas supplier and
buy into his pool of bottles.  You theoretically buy a pair of cylinders,
but what you're really doing is buying rights to a set.  When they're empty
you just exchange them for a full set.  No worries about DOT testing,
waiting for them to fill your bottle, etc.  And it's easy to trade up or
down if you need different size cylinders some day.

As to buying equipment, I'd ditto the advice about Victor.  I have some
Harris stufff too, but I really prefer my Victor torches.  Maintenance is
nil for at least a couple of decades unless you ruin your hose or hammer on
something.  I haven't been able to find any big discounts on Victor stuff.
I usually go to my local dealer to buy new torch equipment, knowing that I
may have spent a little more than I needed to, but not much.  The dealer is
happier that way, and next time I have a question he's happy to help.

Karl Vacek
'46 Piper J3-C65 Cub
'16 Ford Model T Touring
'64 Amphicar