Oil stains on concrete

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil stains on concrete
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:18:53 -0400
I expect I already know this is a looser, but I have to ask. Does anyone
have any ideas on how to get oil stains out of concrete?

I use a submersible pump to lower the water in my in-ground swimming
pool after big rains, and after using it last, I left it sitting on the
concrete walk along the pool, as I have many times in the past. This
time it decided to leaked oil all over the concrete walk. There's about
a 2 foot diameter circle of oil on the walk. It's very unsightly,
needless to say, and I would like to get it up as best I can.

The site is about 1 foot from the pool's edge so I'm a little concerned
about what I use and getting it into the pool water, especially during
rains.

I've heard of using things like kitty litter, but wonder what will
happen if it gets into the pool during a severe rain storm. I expect
nothing serious. Perhaps I can place a barrier of towels between the oil
stain and the pool.

Thanks,

Don Malling