Re: More concrete floor

To: "Brian C. Kennedy" <kennedybc@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: More concrete floor
From: Ray Bahr <rbahr@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:04:07 -0700
At 09:37 AM 9/11/2003 -0400, Brian C. Kennedy wrote:

>While we're on the subject of concrete floors. I have a walkout basement
>concrete floor that had the old 9" tiles. The house was built in 1910, so I
>have no idea how old the floor is. My plan was to remove the tiles and paint
>the floor. I heard, however, that the adhesive in the old tiles had a lot of
>asbestos. So, I'm wondering what the best approach might be for cleaning up
>the old adhesive, then prepping the floor for paint. I'd planned to use
>epoxy paint, but I see Ray used Harddeck. Ray, you say this is really nasty
>to use. What precautions would you take in a walkout basement?
>Thanks

Good question - I would do my best to seal off the rest of the house, and
get PLENTY of ventilation. Between the muriatic acid and the epoxy/paint
you will be an EPA Superfund site for a couple of days. When I did this it
was just before I moved in and was able to let things vent for a while. In
my basement (wood shop) I used the cheap industrial type vinyl tiles - got
them at Home Depot. I have a bunch of heavy machines down there and they
hold up well. It is a bit easier on the feat as well!

Ray