RE: More concrete floor

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: More concrete floor
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:45:43 -0700
> Brian, the whole tile is asbestos.  When as you remove it, it will break
> and small dust particles migrate through your home.
<snip>
> There are professionals that can remove it fairly safely; however most
> would recommend you leave it in place and cover it with some other floor
> covering.

The tile may be asbestos-bearing, or the adhesive, or both.

If I recall properly, in something like 46 states asbestos-containing floor
tile is not considered a hazardous waste, it's suggested that it be removed
'wet' but the legal requirements are pretty loose.

In the other four, you need all the usual testing, negative-pressure
containment during removal, documented disposal at an approved facility,
etc.

We're in California, and I don't think I need tell you which of the above
groups it falls into.

We had vintage-1965 vinyl-asbestos tile removed from the slabs under our
living room and master bedroom for something like $900, and I regard it as
money well spent.

John.