Re: HF Hydraulic Shop Presses

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: HF Hydraulic Shop Presses
From: ericm@lne.com
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:24:18 -0800
On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:38:29PM -0500, Don Malling wrote:

> I think I recently got burned by an auto repair shop that charged me
> $50.00 to remove 4 ujoints on my TR250 IRS axles.
>
> A 6pack list member suggested I get a shop press and do it myself.
> Seemed like a good idea.
>
> Is this shop press adequate for ujoints etc. or do I need something bigger.
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=4711

Its pretty small.  Both in pressing power and in the size of things
that'll fit in it.

I have the "12 ton" model and it's been just big enough a few times...
and I mostly work on motorcycles.

It's also big enough to double as an apple press for making cider.
(using press plates made from plastic cutting board material).

Eric