Re: HF Hydraulic Shop Presses

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HF Hydraulic Shop Presses
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:12:39 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Don Malling wrote:
> I think I recently got burned by an auto repair shop that charged me
> $50.00 to remove 4 ujoints on my TR250 IRS axles.
>
> A 6pack list member suggested I get a shop press and do it myself.
> Seemed like a good idea.
>
> Is this shop press adequate for ujoints etc. or do I need something bigger.
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=4711

I dunno about "getting burned"... $50 around here is an hour of shop time
and is often a "minimum" type of thing.  Like anything else, if you need
special tools that you don't own, you're pretty much at the mercy of those
who do.

Anyway,  That particular shop press seems pretty wimpy to me.  6 ton isn't
much but more importantly it looks very restricted in terms of what will
fit in there.  It may well do fine on smaller parts, but for larger
things, you'll want a floor model like:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32879

To give you an example of why that might be usefull... Just last sunday I
needed to press a strut insert down into a strut.  Had the "table" part of
the press down near the bottom to get the assembly in there to work on.
Wouldn't have had room with that 6 ton benchtop model.

Mark