Re: is the carport sturdy?

To: "Lee Daniels" <lee@automate-it.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: is the carport sturdy?
From: Dave C <cavanadd@kendra.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:50:37 -0800
I have built two "shed roof" carports using 4 x 4s for supports.  I also
used 6 posts per bay. The first one was a 3 bay, the second one was a 4
bay.  On the second one I put each post at least 3 to 4 feet down and put
at least 3 sacks of concrete on each post.  I also put diagonal wind
bracing in both directions.  Roofing on both is galvanized ribbed steel, no
sheathing, although I did nail 1 x 4 strips about 16" or so on center
across the rafters.   No problems.  The first one had almost 2 feet of wet
snow on it once.

I have a full set of pictures I can send out on CD if anyone is interested,
or if anyone wants to post on a web site.

Dave C