Re: is the carport sturdy?

To: "Lee Daniels" <lee@automate-it.com>
Subject: Re: is the carport sturdy?
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:02:57 +0000
At 09:01 23/03/04 -0600, you wrote:

>My dad is building a small carport; just enough to keep the sun off his car
>during the summer. He sunk six 4x4's and is now working on the rafters.  Now
>he says he wonders if the 4x4's are strong enough, since it wobbles when
>he's on top.  I'm thinking that it will firm up when the sheathing is put on
>the rafters.  You can see a photo of it here:
>   http://www.automate-it.com/lee/carport.html
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>thanks, Lee

As you suggest, Lee, it will firm up when the sheeting goes on the rafters.
Couple of points your dad might consider. Put diagonal braces (say 4x2)
from the top of the outside posts to the bottom of the centre posts.
Include short (2 foot) 45 degree braces at the top of the posts from the
post to the longitudinal bearer (probably not the right term). I built two
similar structures over the past winters for storing plant. The only
differences were roofs sloping from front to back and hit and miss boarding
on the sides. 4x4s provide the support and they've done fine.

Nick