RE: Parking Lifts

To: "Ron Schmittou" <rs1121@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Parking Lifts
From: "Trevor Boicey" <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:43:26 -0500 (EST)
> For negotiation use the safety reason - "I would just hate for you to
> find me in a POOL OF BLOOD pinned under a car some night"

  Nice. I did drop my wife's 626 doing brakes one time with a cheap floor
jack. I use jack stands and proper safety precautions, so there was no
chance of personal injury, but it did to some damage to the car. If I
had been doing the work when it fell rather than just getting ready to
put in the stand, I could have been hurt.

  I went out the next day and bought a large floor jack. (basically
untippable, and overall, much better, but seeing that I had a hoist I
had felt up to that point than an expensive floor jack was pointless...
oh well)

> Anyway I bought a stinger brand - 4 post and have been very happy with
> it - I used it in a 8 foot garage - but then lotus cars are very short
> on height, and I used a nice rolling stool to work underneath.

  I love the rolling stool. A lot of people don't buy hoists because their
roof is too low so they won't be able to stand up under the car when
working.

  I much prefer a rolling stool, then the whole floor is your tool tray.
Sit in the middle and lay out tools all around yourself, it's great.

  Another factor if you have a low ceiling: there is a wide variety of
platform thicknesses out there.

  Mine is actually worse than most, the bottom of the top car is still at
least 40cm from the top of the next car when the lift is lowered as much
as possible. This wastes 40cm when computing "stacking height".

  Some are much less, as little as 10cm. So if measuring if you can stack
certain cars, it's a big factor.

  For me, I cannot stack my ZB magnette on top of anything for the winter,
it's too tall. So I have to put my wife's Miata above my E-type, that's
the only combination that works.