Re: [Shop-talk] Hanging a Cuckoo clock

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Hanging a Cuckoo clock
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:05:57 -0500
On 2/7/2010 4:07 PM, Randall wrote:

>> Suggestion: predrill and liberally coat the sides of the hole
>> with glue,
>> white or wood glue, before inserting the bolt.  The glue will
>> soak into
>> the gypsum firming it up and form a skin that binds with the
>> front and
>> back paper of the drywall.
>>
> Good idea!  I will do that.

I always use glue when screwing into wood.  The threads cut up and
compress the wood fibers.  The glue soaks in  and "fixes" the hole.
This is especially useful with particle board/MDF book shelves (and
solid wood also).

> I'm going to give the single molly a try (with your changes), as I've hung
> some other cuckoo clocks on mollys and they seem to do OK even through a
> minor tremor.

I think you'll be fine with a single molly.  Drywall is stronger than
many give credit, it just doesn't hold a screw very well because it
crumbles.  That's where the glue comes in.