Re: [Shop-talk] Shop light problems - update

To: Darrell Walker <darrellw@ipns.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop light problems - update
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:08:49 -0400
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Darrell Walker <darrellw@ipns.com> wrote:
> B It wired up a bit differently (the original had more
> separate wires, the replacement mostly wires each end of the bulbs
together).

I missed this the first time around, but you mean there's only a blue
wire and a red wire, and not four wires per tube?  That's because
what've you've got is an "instant start" fixture.  It just provides a
high (1000 V or more) voltage when it's switched on, which is enough
to strike an arc in the tube directly.  That's not good for tube life,
but if you're only turning them on once a day, and they run three or
more hours at a shot, generally not a problem.  If you turn them on
and off a dozen times a day, you'll kill tubes pretty quickly, and
would benefit from a "rapid start" ballast, which provides a timed
pre-heat to get the bulb ready to strike.  They cost more, though.

> But it fired right up with the new ballast, and even seems brighter.
B What's