Re: [Shop-talk] Unfamiliar wiring for basement lights

To: <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>, <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Unfamiliar wiring for basement lights
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 14:23:54 -0700
>  The red
> wire was connected to one of the black wires in the fixture,
> BTW; the two
> black wires coming into the fixture were coupled (wire nut).

I'm not sure I follow all this, but it sounds as though someone has
installed the switch on the neutral side of the supply to the lights.
Definitely not standard practice, but I've seen stranger things.  If so,
then the lights aren't going to work without that red wire, unless you
rewire the switch as well.

My suggestion would be to hook the new fixture up the same way as the old
one; leaving the breaker off until the job is finished, whether it's
required or not.

Randall

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96