Re: [Shop-talk] Kia brake system issues ...

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Kia brake system issues ...
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:03:43 -0500
I love this list!!

Eric Russel suggested ...

A easy test to perform is to slowly & gently press on the brake pedal. If it
sinks then the seals are likely failing. A quick, firm press on the pedal
applies pressure quickly and the seals are designed to press tighter against
the bore with internal pressure. The slow, gentle application will usually
reveal any weakness of the sealing ability.

... and this test allowed the pedal to go all the way to the floor. So I now
feel much better about getting the master cylinder.

Bob Spidell also thinks the master cylinder is suspect.

Pat Horne suggested there could be water in the brake fluid if the fluid has
never been changed and we might be experiencing brake fade.
bjshov8@tx.rr.com suggested that I not let friends drive Kia's and then
suggested I check the master cylinder fluid level myself.

Both are very good suggestions as the girlfriends maintenance mantra appears
to be "if is starts, runs and stops then no maintenance is required, if not,
then maintenance may be required". The concept of "periodic or preventive
maintenance" is no where to be found in her chant.

I did check the master cylinder and indeed, there is a liquid in the
reservoir that is up to the max line. Based on the color of the liquid it is
probably original Kia fluid installed when manufactured.

So the current plan is to replace the master cylinder and flush the entire
brake system. I'm off to garage to line up the PB Blaster, the Kroil, the
butane torch and the gas axe assuming that the bleeders will require all of
these techniques to loosen them up after 10 years of inactivity.

Thanks again to all,
Arvid

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96