Re: [Shop-talk] Kia brake system issues ...

To: Arvid Jedlicka <arvidj@visi.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Kia brake system issues ...
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:05:30 -0400
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Arvid Jedlicka <arvidj@visi.com> wrote:

> I am reluctant to give it back to them with a clean bill of health. The only
> thing I can think of is to replace the master cylinder, but that seems like
> throwing parts at the problem. But the master cylinder is the only thing I
> can think of that might cause a soft pedal without leaking fluid on the
> ground and "recovering". The thought of a small piece of rust or what ever
> causing an intermittent seal failure between the front and back portions of
> the master cylinder is the scenario I was thinking of.

Is this a car with ABS, or without?  I'm guessing without, given that
it's a '00 Kia, but ABS system failures can do this, too.  But bypass
failure of the master cylinder is a quite likely cause.  It's what I'd
replace, as well as the fluid.  It's probably 10 years old, and
causing substantial corrosion.

A master cylinder for tis car will be cheap, and its not hard to swap.
 Teach the nephew to do it, which is likely to impress the
girlfriend...

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com