[Shop-talk] digital caliper vs. dial caliper?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] digital caliper vs. dial caliper?
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:12:13 -0500
I've decided I might upgrade my old vernier caliper to a digital or dial
caliper.  This is for light hobby use.

1.  Which is preferred- digital or dial?  Digital seems easier to use
but I worry about how long electronic tools such as this will last.  I
don't want to put it in a drawer and pull it out a year later only to
find that it doesn't work anymore.
2.  I notice that Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, Harbor Freight all sell both
types.  Harbor Freight is quite a bit cheaper, and has a wide range of
reviews.  Should I buy one of these or search ebay for the occasional
deal on a better brand?  and what brand(s) should I look for to get
quality at a reasonable price?

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive