[Shop-talk] small band saw?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] small band saw?
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:18:02 -0500
I used a friend's band saw for a small hobby project recently and I
decided that I would like to have one for my own use.  I see 10" and
larger models for sale, they cost more than what I would want to spend
and most of these require mounting on a floor stand.  I also see 9"
models that sit on a table and are less expensive.  Skill and Delta make
one model (appears to be the same unit with different names), Ryobi
makes one, Sears makes on and Harbor Freight sells one.  The Sears unit
gets real low ratings, the Skill/Delta not much better, the Ryobi gets
medium ratings, and the HF model gets good ratings.

Should I get one of the small inexpensive models and take my chances, or
should I try to find a deal on a used larger model?  I would still need
to set it on a bench which might be a problem with some of the larger
models.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive