Re: [Shop-talk] soldering iron

To: Jorge Garcia <fortee9er@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] soldering iron
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:40:23 -0700
Jorge - Weller has been a good brand for decades.  You can even buy them
at Radio Shack.

I have a small Radios Shack iron I've used for years.  Before you toss
the new one, make sure the tip is in tight.  If you forget before
heating it up, just grab the tip with a pair of pliers.  If it is loose,
you will not get the heat transfer.  Also, if the tip is brand new, you
should tin it first to conduct heat to the work.  Heat the iron for a
few minutes then touch some solder to the tip and it should quickly melt
and coat the tip.  It only takes a thin layer to improve heat transfer.
Finally, make sure you are using thinner rosin core electrical solder.
A small pencil iron isn't going to melt thick plumbing solder and
properly heat the work.

Also look at the wattage of your iron.  For circuit boards, I'd probably
only use a 25-30 watt iron to avoid overheating the components.  Unless
you are attaching heavy gauge wires, they should be more than adequate.
If you only have a 15 watt iron, it probably won't cut it.

Brian