Re: [Shop-talk] soldering iron

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] soldering iron
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:54:47 -0700
> I've noticed that some solder pens besides coming with
> different tips,
> they have different heating elements as well, i.e. they are rated at
> different wattages.  So depending on what you are soldering you might
> match the wattage of the tip to the job.

The ones they use at work are thermostatically controlled, so even a big
heating element won't overheat the tip.  Then the tips come in different
sizes as well, to suit the job at hand.

Weller is an old, well respected brand:
http://tinyurl.com/24xobnp

However, I suspect that even a cheap controlled iron is better than the best
uncontrolled iron for doing PCB work:
http://www.warnerstainedglass.com/product.aspx?id=5110-103

Randall

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html