Re: [Shop-talk] Pulsing brakes

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Pulsing brakes
From: Neil Sherry <neiljsherry@talktalk.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:14:54 +0100
Run out is slightly less critical, as the pads should float back and
forth to accommodate it (unless the callipers are really sticky). If one
area of the disk is thicker, then that will cause a definite pulse, as
the extra material has nowhere to go. Could be caused by a hard spot in
the disk that has been left high as the rest of the disk has worn away.
Another possibility is if the edges of the disk are horribly corroded to
the extent that bits are flaking off, this can give an uneven running
surface for the pad - but that would be quite apparent without dti's and
mic's.
It is possible that the run out is caused by a warped disk - this can be
caused by heavy braking to a stop, followed by holding the brakes on
whilst stationary - the pads keep one bit of the disk hot while the rest
can cool more quickly. Or it's just one of those things as the disks wear!
Neil