[Shop-talk] Filling large gaps in wood?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Filling large gaps in wood?
From: pj_thomas at comcast.net (Peter J. Thomas)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 23:10:44 -0400
On 6/21/2011 9:49 PM, Jim Franklin wrote:
> I boxed in some basement windows in a very not-square house, and there are
> some gaps between the boxes and the casing molding that rests on the sheetrock
> walls, some as large as 1/2". The homeowner would prefer the gaps filled in
> and smoothed out rather than me laying a piece of molding over it. Since the
> gaps have no bottom, I thought I'd create a bottom with some minimally
> expanding foam and then fill the remainder with Bondo. I'm sure caulk would
> require many layers to stop shrinking, drywall mud would crack and wood
> filler...no idea but it has never worked well for me in smaller
> applications...
Bondo and the drywall are going to expand and contract differently with
temperature changes, which next to a window will be significant.  You
should use gypsum compound, not bondo.  Tape over it with fiber glass
tape and mud/sand to blend into the existing wall

Personally, I'd cut back the drywall to the next adjoining stud and re
sheet rock around it.  A patch job on a seam is going to look much
better than plastering a large gap and is probably less work and cost.

Peter T.