[Shop-talk] Recommendations wanted re: used pick-up trucks

Subject: [Shop-talk] Recommendations wanted re: used pick-up trucks
From: gsteve at hammatt.com (Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA USA)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 20:23:18 -0700
First, let me say that the truck will pull my car
trailer which carries some antique cars which
normally reside in my shop (therefore qualifying
for inclusion in the Shop Talk group<grin>).  I
wouldnbt consider starting this search without
tapping into the remarkable knowledge base
available from within this group!

Ibm in need of replacing our 2002 GMC 2500HD
4 passenger 6.0L with trailer package truck.  My
wife can still smell the VERY faint lingering odor
from a far distant smoker/owner.  So, time for
a replacement.  Ibll put around 12k b 15k miles
per year on it.

What I want is a crew-cab with short bed hauler
(used) that can handle up to 10,000 lb. on
the tag hitch.  Must be HD automatic, possibly
open to diesel, but am used to gasoline engines.

Ibm looking at a used truck, from 2006-2009,
with consideration of 1 year plus/minus due
to special circumstances.

My questions are:
1.  Dodge, GMC/Chevrolet, Ford?

2.  Depending on year and brand, are there
certain gas or diesel engines or transmission
packages to avoid (or strive for)?

3.  Any other features that you can think of
that I may be overlooking?

Super thanks
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA