[Shop-talk] Run air tools on a water hose?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Run air tools on a water hose?
From: dmscheidt at gmail.com (David Scheidt)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 13:52:28 -0500
On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate at gmail.com> wrote:
\
> As for a sudden increase in water in the lines...Are you sure you are
> draining the tank completely? B I can see a scenario where water could
> build up in the tank, until one day it rises to the level of the
> outlet, and all of the sudden water is getting blown out with the air.

This.  turn the compressor off, open the tank stopcock and let all the
air and water drain out.  When you think it's done, don your eye
protection, and probe the stop cock's opening.  (Better, remove it,
but that's asking for not being able to reinstall it...)  You may well
find there's some thing (rust flakes, scale, godzilla) blocking the
free flow of water out the system.  Do the same at all your drains.

I've also seen a tank where the bottom stop cock was connected to an
anti-dip tube, so that you couldn't drain the tank.  (It was an
industrial application, it's entirely possible the tank was mounted
upside down from the original application, where a dip tube would work
to blow water out of the tank.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com