Re: [Shop-talk] OK my last question (well, for now)

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OK my last question (well, for now)
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 00:07:50 -0500
On 11/15/2011 10:52 PM, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> I have a small bathroom that I would like to add a heater to.  Actually,
> let me back up a bit.
>
> When I moved into this house, I planned on redoing most of it, so I
> haven't been spending money renovating things.
>
> Of course, this bathroom was cold and small, so I decided to fix it up for
> my GF.  I completely gutted it and found there wasn't any insulation in
> any way (and two walls and the ceiling were exterior!)
>
> So I added nice insulation to the exterior walls when I re sheet rocked
> the bathroom.
>
> But now, the bathroom is even COLDER then before.  Does anyone know how
> this could happen?
>
> So, to my real question, I wanted to mount a heater to the top of the
> wall, opposite the shower so it can blow hot air into it.  My question is,
> is there a danger if the water splashes the heater?
>
> If so, is there a heater for this type of application?
>
> I'm just looking for a small electric heater.  Either one that can plugged
> in or hardwired.

Radiant floor heating in a bathroom is the way to go.  It's basically an
electric blanket that you put under tile.  Of course it requires
retiling the bathroom.  Other options are electric towel warmers that
mount on the wall which also warm the room.  Nice because the towel is
warm when you use it and will dry quickly.  Another option is a heated
vent; exhaust vent with a heating option.  Finally, over the shower
(which seems where you want the heat) a infrared heat lamp installed in
a can.  All of these are designed for bathrooms.