[Shop-talk] Roof trusses / framing a second floor

Subject: [Shop-talk] Roof trusses / framing a second floor
From: jdinnis at gmail.com (John Innis)
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:54:41 -0600
We spec'd "room in attic" trusses in the attic of our house, which give you
a fair amount of usable space depending on your roof pitch.  We ended up
with a room that is 15' wide (at the floor) with a 4' knee wall and about
4" of flat ceiling in the center of the room (the rest of the ceiling is at
roof pitch.  The only issue we had with this space was getting it properly
insulated.  The sub-floor to wall join was too loose originally and we had
a lot of air leakage (this is a partially finished, heated space).  We
ended using spray in foam to seal up the trouble spots, and have had no
issues since.
 Here is a copy of the plan and some pics of the framing.

http://www.johninnis.com/our_new_home/plans/P1010006_1.jpg
http://www.johninnis.com/our_new_home/Construction/06_15_07/IMG_0643.jpg