Re: [Shop-talk] Buying tires online (or is it Tyres?)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Buying tires online (or is it Tyres?)
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:17:55 -0800
Local stores obviously vary with Discount Tire.  After rebuilding the
front suspension of my TR6, I went to Discount Tire for a full alignment
and new tires.  Despite having removed the clamps off the new rubber
boots from the steering rack, their alignment guy managed to rip them
both.  I went back and they said it wasn't their problem, but if I
bought new boots, they would install them.  A regional manager happened
to be there and looked at the front suspension with all the shiny new
nuts and bolts and said he would not have accepted the car for an
alignment following my rebuild.  The alignment was close before going in
and the car drove well for dead tires.  When I got it back, the steering
wheel was off about 15 degrees - probably why he had to adjust it far
enough to tear both boots.

I will never deal with Discount Tire again following that experience.
With the experience, below, I would carefully double check everything
before paying the bill.

Brian