Re: [Shop-talk] removing #2 Philips screws

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] removing #2 Philips screws
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 18:05:13 -0800
Sounds like I might have something to spend one of those Harbor Freight
coupons on.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piece-left-hand-drill-bit-set-95146.html

Medium size Vice Grips did a quick job on the screws left in the joist.

Brian

On 2/24/2012 5:20 PM, Randall wrote:
> I've not tried it, but what happens if you use a left-handed drill bit,
> maybe around 1/4" diameter, and start drilling into the screw head (with the
> drill running in reverse of course)?
>
> Seems like it should either grab the screw head and back the screw out; or
> else drill through the head so you can fairly easily pull the board up off
> the screw.  Once the board is removed, a chisel&  hammer should make short
> work of the exposed portion of the screw, and you can just leave the rest
> inside the joist.
>
> My boards were all rotted enough that it was easy to pull them straight up
> off the screws.  Turns out the joists had to be replaced as well, but I
> didn't know that to begin with.
>
> -- Randall

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96