Re: [Shop-talk] removing #2 Philips screws

To: <bk13@earthlink.net>, <ejrussell@mebtel.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] removing #2 Philips screws
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:03:34 -0600
When we removed our old deck our contractor recommended just using a circular
saw to cut the boards along each side of the joists.  We ended up with a ton
of foot long boards (it was a large deck), but it was a lot easier and faster
than removing the nails.  We weren't trying to save the joists, but once the
boards were cut off it would have been a simple matter to split the 1 1/2 inch
piece that was left, leaving just the screw sticking up.  A Vice Grip should
then be sufficient to remove the screw or at least break it off flush with the
top of the joist.