Re: [Shop-talk] Battery charger

To: <markmiller@threeboysfarm.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery charger
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 16:49:03 -0600
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Second that on both sizes of BatteryMinder - I actually have 6 of the
smaller model and one of the large.  Every one of them is in use all winter,
and most of them are in use all summer too.  The way they extend battery
life by desulphation has paid for them.  But really the small ones are
battery maintainers and won't help you start your car today.  Further, if
you have a completely dead battery be aware that computer chargers like
these require a minimum threshold voltage in the battery, and sill not begin
to work if the battery is lower than that.

Therefore, a "plain old" charger can be handy too.  They do not check the
battery voltage or desulphate, but just create DC power.  Schumacher is an
old, well-respected brand.  I'd want at least a 25-amp mode if not a 75-amp
or more "Start" mode.  Even a "Start" mode won't actually start a car
directly (starters draw more than that), but it will get enough charge into
a decent battery within a few minutes to let you start the car.

I suggest that you avoid the "Vector" chargers (now owned by Black &
Decker).  They look pretty but they tend to break quickly - a large
percentage of owner reviews report failures.  Mine died Friday after a few
years of infrequent use, and I'm considering just throwing it out rather
than bothering to fix it.

Karl