Re: [Shop-talk] Blackening sockets/wrenches stamped markings.

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Blackening sockets/wrenches stamped markings.
From: Jack Brooks <JIBrooks@Live.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 07:49:57 -0700
Doug,

I was stunned as a kid, when I was working with my Dad that he simply asked
for the size socket or wrench he needed.  I can look at a nut/bolt and
mostly grab the right size tool, but I can't identify and name the size on
sight consistently.  I'm not sure how Dad did it.  Fortunately for me, my
son never did mechanical work with his grandpa, or he would know what a
failure his Dad is.  <Kidding>

I'm thinking that Standard is easier 'cause it's what we grew up with.  I've
done a fair bit of design work in metric and while I can "think" in metric,
it's not anywhere near the same as my ability to think in standard.

I also know what you mean about the vision thing.  Glasses on, glasses off,
<grrrrr>

Jack

  _____